Clifton Hill is a suburb 4 km north-east from Melbourne's
central business district. The border between Clifton Hill
and Fitzroy North is Queens Parade and Smith Street. Merri
Creek defines the eastern border of Clifton Hill. Its Local
Government Area is the City of Yarra.
Clifton Hill was named after Clifton Farm, one of the first
properties in the area. The word "Hill" was added by land
developer John Knipe to spruik the new estate. The first
subdivision of 64 freehold properties was auctioned by Knipe,
George and Co. on 18 September 1871.
For many years a centre of Melbourne's bohemianism, the
suburb has undergone rapid gentrification in recent years.
Geography and Demography
Accommodation in the suburb largely
comprise of Victorian and Edwardian era dwellings. Hoddle
Street bisects the suburb, dividing it into western and
eastern precincts. The suburb is well served by parks and
gardens, including Darling Gardens and Mayor's Park (western
precinct) and Quarries Park (eastern precinct). An
attractive local shopping strip is located along Queens
Parade, on the border with Fitzroy North, consisting of
mainly Victorian era shopfronts in a reasonable state of
preservation. Dwelling density in Clifton Hill is
significantly lower than the remainder of the former City of
Collingwood, which also included the suburbs of Collingwood
Major road arteries passing
through the suburb include Queens Parade, Heidelberg Road,
Alexandra Parade and Hoddle Street.
Clifton Hill railway station, located just north of the
corner of Hoddle and Ramsden Streets
tram route 86 runs along Queens Parade.
Several bus routes run along Hoddle Street and interchange
at the railway station.